CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 25, 2008

Would I do it again?


During this hospital stay, I have had a lot of time to reflect and hopefully, gain a greater insight to what the future holds. I have at times been criticized for putting my health at risk to have my beautiful daughter. Anyone that has met my daughter soon stops the criticism. It is mostly those that do not share my beliefs. I know that she is the greatest blessing from God that I have received and although it was difficult to get her here, she literally saved my life. A couple years ago I read an article in the Ensign that I really connected with. It explains my feelings very well. It comes from the Feb. 2006 Ensign from President James E. Faust. It reads:

"A teacher, conducting a class, said it was unwise ever to attempt, even to permit them [the Martin handcart company] to come across the plains under such conditions.”
Then President McKay quoted an observer who was present in that class: “Some sharp criticism of the Church and its leaders was being indulged in for permitting any company of converts to venture across the plains with no more supplies or protection than a handcart caravan afforded.
“An old man in the corner … sat silent and listened as long as he could stand it, then he arose and said things that no person who heard him will ever forget. His face was white with emotion, yet he spoke calmly, deliberately, but with great earnestness and sincerity.
“In substance [he] said, ‘I ask you to stop this criticism. You are discussing a matter you know nothing about. Cold historic facts mean nothing here, for they give no proper interpretation of the questions involved. Mistake to send the Handcart Company out so late in the season? Yes. But I was in that company and my wife was in it and Sister Nellie Unthank whom you have cited was there, too. We suffered beyond anything you can imagine and many died of exposure and starvation, but did you ever hear a survivor of that company utter a word of criticism? …
“ ‘I have pulled my handcart when I was so weak and weary from illness and lack of food that I could hardly put one foot ahead of the other. I have looked ahead and seen a patch of sand or a hill slope and I have said, I can go only that far and there I must give up, for I cannot pull the load through it.’ ”
He continues: “ ‘I have gone on to that sand and when I reached it, the cart began pushing me. I have looked back many times to see who was pushing my cart, but my eyes saw no one. I knew then that the angels of God were there.
“ ‘Was I sorry that I chose to come by handcart? No. Neither then nor any minute of my life since. The price we paid to become acquainted with God was a privilege to pay, and I am thankful that I was privileged to come in the Martin Handcart Company.’ ” 1

This is how I feel to all those who question what I have done to bring my daughter here. I would do it all again if I knew that was the Lords will. I know that He lets us know what and when things need to happen and I only pray that I can be in tune enough to here the call. I would like to change this part of the quote "Was I sorry that I chose to have Cambree? No. Neither then nor any minute of my life since. The price we paid to become acquainted with God was a privilege to pay, and I am thankful that I was privileged to "bring Cambree into the world."


I guess I have been thinking about this more and more because Cambree is nearing her 4th birthday. I look at her and wonder where has the time gone? She is such an amazingly beautiful, spirited little girl and I am so blessed to call her mine. She makes the sun shine.

12 comments:

Ute Family said...

Your blog puts mine to shame. What a spiritual gal you are. I'm so glad to call you my friend and Jake and I can't wait to see you 3 again.

Is this the prelude to baby number two? ;) ;)

Stacey said...

Em,
Cambree is so lucky to have you as her mom! You are amazing! She is such a sweet little girl. These little children are why life is worth living! They are the greatest blessing we could ever have!

ciara said...

I love to read your blog. You really influence me. Cambree is getting so big.....I can't believe she will be 4. WOW. Kade often talks about when he went to see you in the hospital, when you had Cambree. He just says that it is such a miracle!! There are no doubts in my mind that angels are all around us helping us through!!!

Annz said...

Emiline, you're awesome. What you wrote is really sweet. I've got to stop reading your blogs when I'm at work....I either laugh or cry, and I'm sure people are starting to wonder about me. Love ya, Girl.

Karole said...

I don't think there are words to describe what kind of person you are. You are so unbelievably in touch and in tune with the spirit...I wonder why anyone would even question you? I have often told you that I wish I could be more like you and more in tune with the spirit...someday maybe I will. For now I use you as my inspiration and guide in this life. I'm so glad you finally got to come home and can't wait to see you!

JESSOP’S ROCK!!!

Anonymous said...

Great, inspirational blog. The Martin Hand Cart company is my favorite story. It is amazing the faith they had. I always wonder if I could have the faith that they had to do what the Lord asks me to do. You on the other hand have provide that you have a strong faith and listen to the spirit closely. The amazing thing is that the Martin Hand Cart Company never got their temple work done until recently. Can you believe waiting all those years, how sweet it will be for those who cross over 100 years later and for those who did the temple work. Amazing. This is the story that got me through everything at SUU. I knew if I had faith and did what the Lord wanted me to that the "angles" would help me out of my pit of dispair and they would guide me. I believe they did just that. Thank you for a great blog. When do you get out of the hospital?

Ute Family said...

This is Jake.....I am now going to turn to this blog for my spiritual fulfilment. Kiss the Ensign goodbye, it has nothing on this blog......tear!

Janille said...

Emilee,

I love you!

Anonymous said...

Spence got me addicted to One Tree Hill. ( I didn't have cable until I met Spence so TV was out of the question for me.) I have watched it since we dated! Lets plan to do something soon. I will call

Ute Family said...

PS I hope you didnt change the design of your blog because that woman your married to made you do it?


-Jake

Janille said...

Em,
About the house, we are just waiting to see what the summer holds (new jobs etc.) its fun to think about though! I hope I had the right number. I was so sad I never got you. Just know I thought of you a lot!

Janille

Robinson Gang said...

Emilee,
It has been so fun reading your blog. I miss you. How have we let our relationship slip so much? I would love to see you next week when I come. Let me know. Love you,

Amy